Thursday, June 18, 2015

Night by Elie Weisel

Book Club #3
Night
Elie Weisel

Attending:  Allicia Wick (host), Dr. Allison Wynhoff-Olsen, Stephanie Pascale, Lee Vernon, and Yvonne Holladay (my mama)

Topics:

Yiddish to French to English - what happens in translation

Elie Weisel - Nobel Peace Prize winner and acclaimed author, wrote from personal experience

Cross Textual References - The Trial of God, Maus, 1984, The Diary of Anne Frank

Themes - How the past lingers in the present, question of religions, family relationships, preservation of Holocaust memories, Jewish culture

Historical context - WWII, the 1940s, behaviors and values of that generation, American views of Holocaust, and statements from Germans who lived during that time

And much, much more.  This was likely the richest book club meeting we have had so far.  I was proud to have my mother with us.  She's a fantastic, smart lady.  This book pairs well with others similar in theme or historical era.  It's a book I should read again.  I have only read it once and the first time I read it for the plot.  I'd like to read it again for depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment